New laws regarding age requirements for a marriage license are effective October 1, 2022. See changes outlined under Marriage License section below.
- Marriage License/copies: 8:30 AM - 4 PM
- Civil Ceremonies: 9 AM - 12 PM and 1PM - 4 PM (Please arrive 15 min prior to appointment time)
- Business Licenses: 8:30 AM - 3:30 pm
- Notary: Oath of Office and Certifications 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Monday through Friday (Closed weekends and State Holidays)
Please use this link to reserve a Civil Ceremony appointment.
The License Department is in the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County, 8 Church Circle Room H101 (directly behind security) Annapolis Maryland 21401.
PARKING: Please refer to the HOME page ABOUT US tab for parking options and directions.
TO CONTACT US CALL: 410-222-1434
The application process takes approximately 15 minutes. There is a 48-hour waiting period before the license is valid. The marriage license is valid for six months from the date of issuance and is only valid in Anne Arundel County. The procedures for obtaining a marriage license in Anne Arundel County are as follows:
The Marriage License fee is $55.00 in Anne Arundel County. Accepted methods of payment: cash, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or money order as payment.
One applicant must apply in person to give the information for both spouses.
The following information is required for each applicant:
- Age - * While only one party is required to apply for a marriage license, each party must provide a copy of an official government-issued birth certificate or other official government-issued document or record demonstrating their age such as a driver’s license, passport, etc.
- Birth Date
- State or Country of Birth
- Current Address
- Social Security Number for each person. The Social Security Number is required by Federal and State law and will not be printed on the marriage license. Citizenship is not a requirement to be married. Non-U S Citizens will use N/A (not applicable) on the application.
- If either party has been married previously, please provide the exact month, day, year, county and state that all divorces and/or deaths occurred. Documentation is not required in Anne Arundel County.
- Both parties must be over 18 years of age.
* Change to Marriage License Laws effective October 1, 2022:
- * Minors under the age of 17 are not permitted to get married.
- * An individual 17-year-olds may not marry unless:
- the individual has the consent of each living parent, guardian, or legal custodian of the minor person either in person or through an affidavit signed under the seal of a notary public, OR
- if the individual does not have the required consent, a certificate from a licensed physician, licensed physician assistant, or certified nurse practitioner that states the woman to be married has been examined by the physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner and is found to be pregnant or has given birth to a child; AND
- the individual presents a certified copy of an order granting authorization to marry in accordance with the provisions of Title 5, Subtitle 2A of the Family Law Article not earlier than 15 days after the order was issued. To obtain an order granting authorization to marry, a minor who is 17 years old may file a petition in the Circuit Court in the county in which the minor resides, and an evidentiary hearing on the petition must be held to determine if an order of authorization to marry may be granted.
A blood test is not required in the state of Maryland.
The applicant will be asked if the information provided is accurate. The applicant must sign the application under oath and indicate the truthfulness of the information under penalty of perjury.
If you are unable to apply for an Anne Arundel County marriage license in person at least 48 hours prior to the wedding ceremony, you may complete a Non-Resident Affidavit to be signed by your local Clerk of the Circuit Court or comparable official in your state. The fees remain the same and all Maryland laws must be complied with. It is at the discretion of your local Clerk of the Court or comparable office when requesting approval. We recommend calling them directly for guidance.
For forms and instructions, please use the following link: https://mdcourts.gov/sites/default/files/court-forms/ccfm066.pdf
Before mailing the affidavit, please make certain that the information on the form is accurate, legible, and complete.
Please note: Additional fees will be charged if changes are required to the Affidavit after it has been processed.
The Marriage License Fee of $55.00 payment must be in the form of a MONEY ORDER or CERTIFIED CHECK.
**PERSONAL CHECKS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED**
After completing the Non-Resident Affidavit, mail it to:
Clerk of the Circuit Court
ATTN: Marriage License
8 Church Circle
Annapolis, MD 21401
Civil Marriage Ceremonies
IN PERSON MARRIAGE CEREMONIES - CIRCUIT COURT CHAPEL
Civil Ceremony attendees are limited to the marrying couple and a maximum of eighteen (18) guests (including photographers and children over the age of two).
- Civil Ceremonies are performed at the Circuit Court Chapel Monday through Friday. The hours for civil ceremonies are 9:00 AM. – 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Parties should arrive 15 minutes prior to the scheduled appointment and proceed to the License Department for check-in.
- The fee for a civil marriage ceremony is $25.00 payable in cash or Visa, MasterCard or Discover. Personal checks are not accepted as payment.
- If you plan to be married at the Circuit Court Chapel, please use this link to reserve a Civil Ceremony appointment.
Marriage License: Certified Copies
The Circuit Court has marriage records for Anne Arundel County from 1905 to the present. Certificates of marriage can be released to the following individuals:
- Married parties
- A representative of the married parties (providing the representative shows a notarized letter stating he or she has permission to get a copy of the marriage certificate)
- An attorney representing the married parties
- A court of law
Certified copies are $5.50 per copy. You may apply in person or by mail.
You must present a completed application and a valid, unexpired, government-issued photo ID displaying a date issued and an expiration date. Applicants unable to supply a valid photo ID must present two (2) different pieces of alternative documentation. Acceptable documents include:
- Social security card
- Pay stub
- Current car registration
- Bank statement
- Letter from a government agency
- Lease/rental agreement
- Utility bill with current address
- A copy of your income tax return or W-2 form.
At least one of these documents must contain your current mailing address. Applicants unable to provide valid photo ID will not be able to receive their certificate(s) the same day. Their certificate(s) will be mailed to the address displayed on the documents provided. When applying by mail, send the required information, fee, and a photocopy of required identification to the above address. Do not send cash.
For expedited return service, please submit a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Click here to print and complete the application form and mail with a check or money order ($5.50 per copy) to:
Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County
Attention: License Department
8 Church Circle
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
Request Correction to a Marriage License and Application Issued by Anne Arundel County
To request a correction to a marriage license and/or application issued by Anne Arundel County, the form may be downloaded at: Petition to Correct Marriage License and Application.